The Office of Development and Alumni was created in the early
1960s under M.C. Paget and Bob Ballentine. In the 1990s John Anderson
became Vice President and Director of Development. Over three
decades, under the direction of a number of directors, the Office
became more involved in alumni activities and senior activities.
In the late 1980s, the Office began to sponsor the Senior Breakfast
and Senior Slide Shows for the Senior Banquet prior to graduation.
As a result of these activities, and because no other archive
facility existed, the Office of Development and Alumni became
the repository for thousands of photographs and photographic slides.
Scope and Content:
Arranged in topical order, this large eclectic collection of
2134 color and black-and-white photographic prints covers roughly
the period 1899-1990. It is the most extensive collection of historical
photos covering nearly the entire history of the school. The bulk
of the collection covers the period 1950s-1980s. Files contain
many photos of administrators and faculty members, especially
during the 1960s and 1970s. Many photos of the Woodward and Brewster
families (especially Captain William R. Brewster Jr.) are included
throughout, although they are concentrated in the first box. Most
of the historic buildings are represented, including Founders
Hall. There are a few photos from the 1990s, because the collection
was organized principally by John Anderson, Director of Development,
when he came to the school in 1990. Photos are dated by approximate
decade or exact year when available.
This collection represents nearly every aspect of the history
of the school.